MY UNIQUE CHILD:
A PRACTICAL GUIDE TO RAISING A CHILD WITH AUTISM
By Jasmine Goh
ABOUT THE BOOK
My Unique Child is a practical guide book for parents, caregivers, and educators of children with autism. Based on well-researched information and real-life stories of autism families in Singapore, My Unique Child takes the reader from diagnosis to adulthood in a straightforward and succinct manner.
Practical suggestions are provided for each stage of the journey, dealing with issues such as personal safety, puberty, socialising, working, being financially aware, and making provisions for a time when the parent is no longer around. This step-by-step guide is packed full of resources and ideas for anyone who is raising or teaching a child with autism.
My Unique Child is first published in 2018.
PRAISE FOR MY UNIQUE CHILD
FOR PARENTS, CAREGIVERS, AND EDUCATORS
As a parent of a child on the autism spectrum, how do I support my child while also meeting the needs of the whole family?
This is a common question asked by many parents, rightfully so, but the more important question to ask is this: What is my mindset toward autism?
Your mindset determines your attitude and affects your decisions and actions. Only with the right mindset can you fully appreciate the answers to your original question.
In My Unique Child, you will find helpful suggestions for navigating the issues you might encounter during your child’s journey from childhood to adolescence and adulthood. Information is delivered in friendly, bite-sized chunks, without falling into jargon or too many technical terms, using a skillful blend of practical advice and candid anecdotes.
More than an easy-to-read guide, it will serve as a cheerleader on this journey. As the parent or primary caregiver, you are in the best position to make a difference. Within these pages, you will discover how to cope, adjust, and be empowered to take on the challenges as they come.
A practical guide for parents and a heartening read for professionals in the field, My Unique Child is a valuable, comprehensive, compassionate companion as families love and support their child with autism. Take care of your child, your family, and yourself in the best way you can, with the right mindset to support you.
LEARN HOW TO...
- Recognise your child’s strengths so you can provide appropriate support in his or her learning and daily life.
- Teach new skills without frustrating yourself or your child.
- Incorporate healthy habits into your lifestyle so you can ensure your well-being and see that your needs are met.
- Take small steps to build and nurture your relationship with your spouse.
- Effectively explain your child’s autism to your other children.
- Use everyday situations to teach your child to manage anger and other intense emotions.
- Teach the necessary skills to prepare your child for hormonal changes and puberty.
- Write and execute a transition plan so your child will progress smoothly from school to independent living.
- Hone your child’s social and other skills that are necessary for adulthood.
- Plan your finances so your child will be adequately provided for after your demise.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Jasmine Goh is a writer and speaker. She first knew about autism as a volunteer teacher during her university days. After graduating in 2010, she continued to volunteer her time to teach autistic children while working as a writer in a publishing company.
Jasmine currently advocates for the autism community through giving talks in schools and churches. She does not claim to have all the answers, but hopes that by speaking up, she can help to dispel the myths of autism and give a voice to the silent struggles faced by autistic individuals and their families.
Further praise for My Unique Child
My Unique Child is a practical guide for parents, caregivers, and educators of individuals on the autism spectrum. In this book, you will find helpful suggestions for navigating the issues you might encounter during your child’s journey from childhood to adolescence and adulthood.
For bulk orders of more than 20 books, please get in touch with us via the contact form.
Books are also available for purchase at these physical locations. Addresses stated are correct at the last update on 03/01/2019. Please check with the respective outlets on the availability of the book.
1. Seeds Cafe (Rainbow Centre)
Address: 501 Margaret Drive, Singapore 149306
2. Cathedral Cafe (St. Andrew's Cathedral)
Address: 11 St. Andrew's Road, Singapore 178959
Address: Marina South Pier MRT Station, B1 (near to Passenger Service Centre)
4. Soul Food (Enabling Village)
Address: 20 Lengkok Bahru #01-10, Singapore 159053